If you’d like to show the little ones in your life even more love this Valentines then why not try your hand at this embroidery craft project to make a mini heart pillow. The finished pillow measures around 19cm (approx 7.5″) so it’s the perfect size for you – and them – to snuggle up with.
You will need
- the template which you can download here
- embroidery threads in 5-6 colours including red and dark brown.
- a 7″ or 8″ embroidery hoop
- needle and scissors (of course)
- about 75g of toy filling (I like this one) Choose a washable one so you always put your heart through the washing machine if you ever need to.
- an air erasable ink pen
- Print out the template and tape it to a window. Place one of your squares of fabric over the top and using your air erasable pen, trace over the outline and patterns. Don’t cut it out yet!
- Put your fabric into the embroidery hoop and position it so you can see the outlines clearly. Here’s the stitch guide – (oh and don’t worry about woven wheel stitch if it’s a new one to you. Very easy.. just stitch the five stitches for the cheeks and then weave over and under with the thread to fill in)
3. Once your embroidery is finished, cut out the heart shape. Lay it on top of the other piece of fabric and use it as the template to cut out the second heart shape.
4. Lay the two pieces with right sides together and stitch most of the way around the edge, either with a sewing machine or by hand in backstitch. Make sure you leave a gap of around 5-8cms (or 3 inches) for turning.
6. Close the gap with a small hand stitch or machine sew. Now cuddle up!
If you like this project then please share it with other makers. I love to see how your projects turn out so why not post yours on Instagram with the #gidsyandjogang tag and let us show you some Valentines love!